Tuesday 13 September 2011

Ghost of the Past

I saw a ghost today,
A spectre from my past,
The one that got away,
A die that’s long been cast.

A modern Aphrodite,
With ethereal grace,
I once dreamt of her nightly,
Her pretty porcelain face

That defies the sands of time,
And stays forever youthful,
A woman in her prime,
My eyes cannot be truthful.

I smile and she walks on,
Without a second look,
Here one minute then she’s gone,
Like a page turned in a book

Or a leaf blown in the breeze,
That once fell from a tree,
A fugitive that flees
To once again feel free.

An inconsequential act,
In this pointless play that’s life,
Exit Left with pride intact,
I go home to see my wife.

And I spare her no more thoughts,
I forget about that ghost-
That big fish that I once caught,
The one I used to want the most.

1 comment: